HMS held its July Collaborative Wide meeting on July 27, 2022, at Frederik Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We kicked off the meeting with an abstractors appreciation breakfast to thank them for all the hard work they do to further HMS' mission of improving patient safety and quality improvement at their hospitals. Our expert guest speaker was Derek Angus, MD, MPH, FRCP, Chair of the Department of Critical Care Medicine, UPMC, and the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Angus presented a talk titled, "Improving Sepsis Care". During his talk, he discussed some challenges with the diagnosis and treatment of sepsis, "system" efforts to improve sepsis care, and some lessons learned along with recommendations for sepsis care. This segued into our panel session focused on leveraging the health system to improve sepsis care.
Below are the panelists that participated in this session:
• Rosalie Tocco-Bradley, MD, PhD, MHS – Chief Clinical Officer, SJMHS & Mercy Health of Trinity
• Jeff Desmond, MD – Chief Medical Officer, Michigan Medicine
• Joe Santangelo, MD – Chief Quality and Safety Officer, Munson Healthcare
• Betty Chu, MD, MBA – Associate Chief Clinical Officer and Chief Quality Officer, Henry Ford Health
• Derek Angus, MD, MPH, FRCP – Chair of the Department of Critical Care Medicine, UPMC and University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
To view a video of our event, click HERE.